Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Ups and Downs

At last! A new post from the other side of the Atlantic! Between jet-lagging and trying to figure out how to be a 6/7th grade teacher, things have been a bit rough. But, not to worry--the stories are already plentiful and they will be flowing regularly to your screens forthwith!

To begin with, I'd like to introduce you to my once-upon-a-time existence at the Chateau des Hautes Bruyères. Imagine a wrought-iron gate swinging back to reveal a lovely little country house nestled inside an odd collection of bamboo and sycamore trees. Plump little chickens wander around the grounds while a gigantic St. Bernard keeps half-hearted watch at the door. Up three flights of stairs is a charming, slope-ceilinged attic room, complete with sink and shower. Is this really my life? Well, yes--at least it was for my first three days! When I stumbled out of the train, bleary-eyed and exhausted from lugging around three suitcases, the Roneys whisked me away to this little bed and breakfast, situated a stone's-throw away from their home (aka the mission home). They were trying to find me an apartment, but after being told by some snooty landlord that he didn't rent to "foreigners," they opted to put me up somewhere else until they could figure out a more permanent solution. What they didn't know is that this fabulous little room was the stuff of my little-girl dreams! I always wanted an attic like this one... Unfortunately, the closets didn't contain anything more exciting than a bunch of bathrobes!

Anyway, the Roneys finally decided to situate me in a basement room at the mission home until they could convince someone that I'd be a good tenant. And so it is that I descended from the attic to the affectionately-named "dungeon room." It was something like stepping out of my dream and back into reality! Not to worry, though--aside from being rather dim and often smelling like musty water, this room isn't really so bad. I still have my own little bathroom and an army of strangely ubiquitous green chairs. (I've been attempting to put them to good use as shelves.) So, all is well! And believe me, the journey from chateau to dungeon is the least of my ups and downs from the last week... I suppose you'll have to tune in next time to find out the rest of the story! But, as a teaser, there will be a castle...

5 comments:

  1. CURSE YOU AND YOUR TEASERS!!! No one said anything about commercials in this story. How am I supposed to vicariously live in France with commercials?! *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made my evening. :D I'll try to write tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. I love your army of chairs! Maya will be so jealous, I'm sure she would love to use 8 green chairs as shelves in her room too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are actually 7. I counted when I read your comment! But the army continues outside my room. I think there's probably 20 around the house! They inherited them from the Geneva mission home and didn't know where to put them!

      Delete
    2. See I actually only counted 7, but figured they were a set of eight and that one wasn't in the picture. :)

      Delete