Saturday, September 1, 2012

France ≠ Paris

As I've been prepping to make my epic (in the true sense of the wordjourney to France, I've discovered that an alarming number of friends, family, and perfect strangers have the strange habit of assuming I'll be living in Paris. In fact, I can't tell you how many people have asked something along the lines of "when are you leaving for Paris?" after I've told them about my prospective adventure. Ahem...I consider it, therefore, my duty to inform you all that I will not, in fact, be living in Paris. I know what some of you may be thinking:


GASP! But I thought you said you were going to France?!

Why, yes--yes I am. However, I'm actually going to be living in Lyon. It's located in the south(ish) east of France, about two hours outside of Geneva, Switzerland. It's the second largest city in the country (although some would say that Marseille is larger) and is known as one of the gastronomic capitals of the world. I have to mention that last part because, frankly, I'm pretty excited... :) 

The funniest thing about people thinking I'm going to Paris, however, is that the idea persists even after I tell them what city I'll be in. I'm left with the unfortunate conclusion that a sad number of Americans don't know that Paris doesn't take up the whole of  France... However, in the event that this post be construed as a "stupid American" bashing session, I have to point out that when I attempted in the past to explain to some Europeans where Utah is, I often just opted to say that it was sort-of close to California... (After which some people really did ask if I often saw movie stars in Hollywood.) Sigh. 

At any rate, I just want to let you all know that I will not, in fact, have a regular view of the Eiffel Tower. (Although its iconic nature does figure into my blog header.) Inasmuch as Paris is great and certainly is the capital of France, there are many more wonderful places to visit, and even to live, than the city of light. 

15 comments:

  1. Does south(ish) mean 'the south of France'? Because frankly I have no idea where THAT is either, though it sounds very, very fancy in the adventurous sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not really what the French would consider the "South"--because that's usually seen as the Riveria. It's in what's called the Rhone Alps region--named after the river and, yes, THE MOUNTAINS!! :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. When you say the south I imagine people talking with a blend of southern American and French accent. Which I'm sure is a very American thing to think and the French would probably slap me for saying so, but I can't really help that my imagination goes there.

      Delete
  2. Can you bring me back some French Saison?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Donna... You'll be within walking distance of the Louvre, wear a beret, sing and dance with Gene Kelly and be able to buy a French Baguette on the street. Have I got that Correct? (can we still put in our order for some yummy mustard?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hee hee...I hope this didn't come off as a rant, because it wasn't intended to be one! :) And as for the mustard, of course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am now officially following your blog, but what I really want to know is why are you writing posts at 4 o'clock in the morning?

      Delete
  5. Here is my question though, will you be going to Paris while in France? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely...but not because it's the center of the world!! Paris and I have a love/hate relationship...

      Delete
  6. I am so jealous its been 12 years since I have been over there. I need to get back and visit some of the areas I served in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. I have to explain to people all the time that Africa is a continent, not a country. We all have our soapboxes!

    As for your adventures, I'm very excited for you. It appears you will be travelling by umbrella! Not to just London, but I suppose you will make stops in, say, Amsterdam, Paris, and then Lyon! You have outdone Miss Poppins, Miss Poppins. By jove, you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, I've been having a great time reading through your blog - I am laughing out loud at this post. I don't know how many times people have sent me email saying "I'm coming to Paris! Let's get together!" And when I went to LA to see my friend a few weeks ago, she kept introducing me as "my friend from London." LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it! This post was one of my cleverest...unfortunately, it was also my first! I guess I'd better break out the wit again! :)

      Delete